Thursday, June 11, 2009

Prarie Dogs and Raccoons, Oh My!

Yesterday, Nate and I traveled to the wildlife refuge with some of our friends to feed the prairie dogs. This continues to be one of Nate's favorite summertime activities.

Nate and Aubree

After feeding the hungry rodents we headed towards Mount Scott for a fabulous picnic. We found a lovely clearing where the children could play and the adults could relax under a huge shade tree. I think the animals created this idyllic setting to lure us in and boy did it work! When we emerged from our cars a very large raccoon was there to great us! He (or she) did not initially get that close so we decided to stay and enjoy our location. Again, all part of the raccoon plan! As we set out our lunches, the raccoons(yes plural) apparently decided on the ambush approach and started towards us with determination in their eyes. Nate, not at all enthused by the prospect of consorting with the beasts, became pretty upset. What's a mom to do? Run like hell making lots of noise towards the critters! Thankfully they were more afraid of me than I was of them! We played the attack and retreat game several times but I am happy to report, I won!

Here is a picture of raccoon #1 heading our way.

The partners in crime.







Rock jumping and being silly!

Thanks ladies! Nate and I, as always, had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment