Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Time to Change Schools!



Nate has been enrolled in daycare on Post for the last two years. He goes two days a week and has generally liked it. About a month ago, his main teacher was moved to another room. This change did not go over well. Last Monday when I went to get little man, the new teacher informed me Nate had "fallen off the slide", Nate told me something entirely different. He stated a kid hit him on the head with a toy and pushed him off the slide. Overall, he was fine, it was a minor scrape and Sean and I figured it was just kids being kids and learning to play together. This last Friday, I received a call from his teacher stating that a child at school had bitten Nathan. Immediately I asked if it was a certain individual who has a history of biting. I was told I was not allowed the name of the offender. Ok, I can live with that (besides, Nate will tell me). So I went to the school early to get Nate and to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with his teachers.

When I got to the school, one of his teachers informed me that this was the first biting incident involving this child. Obviously I could not call the woman a liar, but I had a really hard time believing her. This child and his mother used to be a member of our mommy and me group. Unfortunately, due to her child’s biting problem and her refusal to deal with the problem, she was asked to leave the group. Please do not get me wrong, I do not fault the little boy that bit Nate, I BLAME his mother for not getting him help! He has a speech problem, and his inability to formulate words frustrates him and the only way to get his point across is biting. His mother needs to get him help (they are active duty military and have several free sources available to them)! Sorry, I digress. Not happy with the answer I received from the first teacher, I went to his second teacher who has ALWAYS been very honest with me regarding Nathan. She unofficially informed me that this child does indeed have a biting history at the school but she was not allowed to talk about it. WHAT, SERIOUSLY? So, I calmed down (not much) and asked her at what point would they do something about it. She stated that when it became a consistent problem, they would deal with it. So I just had to ask, at what point does the facility consider it a consistent problem, he has obviously bitten my child and other children, does it have to happen every day, week or month to get the problem addressed? She did not have an answer for me.

We could take it up the chain of command, but at this point, I just want Nate out of there. This is now the second serious incident we have had with this school. He is not happy, so as far as I am concerned he's done! We are now researching facilities that will take him one day a week. If I don’t find one, he can stay home with me. We really only use daycare for social interaction (which he now gets through our group), learning and following directions from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment